Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for April, 2008

links for 2008-04-28

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

signal
Yesterday some construction sites in Belgium where open to a public visit. As I once spent a large part of my day there, I decided to visit the site of Bell, the old Alcatel Bell site in the south of Antwerp.

After the company’s relocation to the center of the city behind the central station, the site was handed over to the city of Antwerp which decided to bring it’s entire back-office to one central place.
The triangular building which in the past was filled in the middle with extra buildings, was now emptied again in the middle to allow an underground parking to be built in the middle.

All the floors were stripped (as the building was also riddled with asbestos this was severely needed) and thus in some parts the magnificent steel and brick ceilings are exposed:
ceiling

The rest of the pictures can be found here.

Read Full Post »

Read Full Post »

links for 2008-04-25

Read Full Post »

Photobucket
This is what the ISPs will face in the near future:
Their precious IPTV model turned upside down!

Now youtube starts to introduce high quality/resolution video, now state television broadcasters use bittorrent to multicast episodes of popular shows (Norway, Canada, …) and some deploy their own player (BBC’s iPlayer), the strain on ISPs raises. Not only is BBC eating their (IPTV-)lunch this way, also it burdens their networks with half a nation watching telly from their PC. And the thing is the IPSs have little leverage to revert to their normal scare tactics.

Case in point: the debacle between Comcast and the Canadian broadcast service. CBS launches a bittorrent version of a popular show, viewers complain because Comcast throttles their bandwith when using peer to peer (like bitttorrent) applications, resulting in degraded viewing experience while their non-Comcats using neighbours enjoy full viewing experience.
Now imagine the outrage would British ISPs trying to throttle or ban all together the iPlayer traffic (which they are technically perfectly capable off). So they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They will have ot endure the bandwith, but don’t expect them to be albe to raise their prices in a market where internet prices still go down albeit slowly.

Let’s see where this goes …

Read Full Post »

A reaction to this boingboing post about an experiment by Klara triggered me to write this post.

The experiment consisted of having Luc Tuymans (million selling Belgian painter) paint a large painting on the wall of a building in a rahter crowder zone with lots of passers by. The wall was hidden behind covers when the painting was applied, once the painting was finished, the covers were removed and the passers by were counted to find out how many people would stop to look at it. Turned out it was 4%, the other 96% didn’t even bother to glimpse at it.

Now in itself there is a whole discussion on the point whether 4% is good outcome (considering the fact that this is approximately your museum or gallery going populace (or even more than that) and that the street is not an environment where Tuyman’s rather soft work comes to it’s full capacity).
But this discussion aside it shows about the mindset of some people. There are those who notice that art in itself is worth more and it’s a shame so little people have attention and spend time to good art. There are others who point out that art is overrated and once taken out of its protective neigbourhood, it fails to live up to its expectations.

Case in point is that in this concrete example there are two artists with a rather international exposure but raised through different channels which shows in the end. Banksy who got his fame bottom up (starting with the “regular folk” and then ending up in art-scene environments) and Tuymans who got most of his fame top down. And then the street wins …

Just check for yourself:

Luc Tuymans painting filmed (and counted) for 48 hours :

Banksy painting filmed for 24 hours :

Read Full Post »

links for 2008-04-22

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »